Profiles in History Hollywood Auction #40 Preview
On June 8th, 2010, the staff of GalactiBinder.com had the pleasure of visiting Profiles In History
in Calabasas Hills, California for a special preview of their Hollywood Auction #40, which included several original props from the Star Wars universe. The auction itself was a three day affair, from June 10th - June 12th, with the Star Wars props being auctioned on the second day. Unfortunaly, upon arrival at PIH, we were informed that several of the props - including all the lightsabers and Yoda's cane - had been pulled from the auction.
Here's a breakdown of all the items originlly scheduled to be in the auction and what they were expected to realize. As we said, some items have been struck. We have updated the list with the final sale prices:
- Lot 889 - Original Production X-Wing Fighter Filming Miniature From Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - $60,000-$80,000 - SOLD $95,000
- Lot 890 - Original Production Y-Wing Fighter Filming Miniature From Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - $40,000-$60,000 - SOLD $40,000
- Lot 891 - Yoda Walking Cane From Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back - $12,000-$15,000 - REMOVED
- Lot 892 - Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back Storyboard Art of Millennium Falcon Approaching Cloud City - $1,000-$1,500 - SOLD $1,800
- Lot 893 - Carrie Fisher "Princess Leia" Blaster From Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi - $20,000-$30,000 - REMOVED
- Lot 894 - "Darth Vader" Lightsaber from Star Wars Episode VI - Return of the Jedi - $60,000-$80,000 - REMOVED
- Lot 895 - Ewan McGregor "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Hero Light Saber From Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones - $25,000-$35,000 - REMOVED
- Lot 896 - Samuel L. Jackson "Mace Windu" Hero Fighting Saber and Blade From Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - $25,000-$35,000 - REMOVED
- Lot 897 - Stormtrooper Blaster From Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - $6,000-$8,000 - SOLD $13,000
- Lot 898 - Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi Extraordinary Archive of Production Photos and Transparancies- $4,000-$6,000 - SOLD $6,500
However, Joe Maddalena (the owner of PIH) and his staff were extremely gracious in allowing us to spend some time photographing the most prominent Star Wars pieces in the auction - original production X-Wing and Y-Wing Fighters from "Star Wars: A New Hope". The pieces came from credited model builder David M Jones, and both were pyrotechnic filming miniatures used for filming the various explosions of the vehicles. The crew continued to build these miniatures as necessary for production. When no more were needed, Jones assembled the remaining production parts - and the parts that survived some of the various explosions - into these two pieces. So both pieces contain parts that indeed are indeed "screen-used".
The X-Wing Fighter is 21 3/4" long and 17" wide and is constructed of resin, polystyrene and brass. The four brass wingtip laser pods with booms and at least three of the four engine/wing assemblies are screen-used.
The Y-Wing Fighter measure 27" long and 14 1/2" wide and is also constructed of resin, polystyrene and brass. As you can see the two engine nacelles are screen-used and show amazing "battle damage" from the explosions!